FAQ: Homestudy

Do I need any special courses or qualifications to sell food products at Farmers Market?

Yes, the Alberta Food Safety Basics for Farmers’ Markets is a requirement.  Although administered by Alberta Health Services, this course is required by Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development of all food and agricultural vendors selling a food product.  The certificate must be displayed in the vendor’s booth.  If the vendor has completed one of the other approved sanitation and hygiene courses, they are not required to take this home study course.  If you are unsure if a course you have taken is sufficient please refer to this document from Alberta Health Services.  If you have further questions please contact your nearest Environmental Public Health office:

Grande Prairie – 780-513-7517

Edmonton – 780-735-1800

Red Deer – 403-356-6366

Calgary – 403-943-2288

Lethbridge – 403-388-6689

St. Albert – 780-460-4751