Market Buds aims to provide a fun opportunity for children to engage in the local food system through conversations directly with farmers, educational and cooking activities, tastings, gardening, exercise classes as well as arts and crafts.
In addition to participating in weekly activities, Market Bud participants receive tokens to spend at the market, allowing them to make their own shopping decisions. The Alberta Farmers’ Market Association (AFMA) provides a set of over 20 tools, guides and templates to help communities engage younger customers in the farmers’ market experience through the Market Buds Children’s Program.
AFMA member markets interested in running their own Market Buds program have access to the following tools and more:
- Market Buds Activity Guide featuring over 20 children’s activities to do at the market and planning tools.
- Market Bud Token Template, order tokens for children to use to shop at the market’s participating vendors. Markets are responsible for reimbursing participating vendors.
- Tools and templates for promoting Market Buds Children’s Program, including social media graphics, fliers and signage.
- Market Buds Passport. Each Market Bud participant gets a Market Bud Passport to track participation.
- Prizes for kids participating in Market Buds Children’s Program. Stickers, temporary tattoos, tote bags and other goodies will be available for purchase.
- A Market Bud Children’s Program Facebook Group. Connect with other Market Buds Children’s Program organizers to discuss programming, and share ideas!